Monday, January 25, 2010

The Black Cat DQ's

1. Discuss the significance of the following quote: "There is something unselfish and self-sacrificing love of the brute, which goes directly to the heart of him who has had frequent occasion to test the paltry friendship and gossamer fidelity of man.
It means "Dog is a man's best friend.


2.What is the significance of the cat's name, Pluto?
Pluto was the Greek god of the underworld.


3.Why did the narrator initially restrain himself from maltreating the cat while maltreating other animals?
He had a special affection for Pluto.


4. Why does he eventually mistreat the cat?
He couldnt deal with the fact that the cat loved him.

5. Describe the narrator's feelings after abusing the cat. Why is that significant?
He doesnt feel that bad about it because it showed how sick it was.


6.How does the narrator define "perverseness"? Do you agree with his definition? Do you agree that it is human nature?
despicable by god. "lord of the flies" yes, yes in a way it is human nature.


7. Discuss the significance of the following quote: “[I] hung it because I knew that it had loved me, and because I felt it had given me no reason of offense; because I knew that in doing so I was committing a sin.
He wanted to be evil. He wanted the cat to suffer because it loved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment