Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Chocolate War DQ's Ch. 1-10

1. What affect did the first sentence have on you? Why did the author use it?(ask this question again after reading the whole book)
The first sentence gave me a kind of feeling that the book would be a really good mysterious book. The author probably used it to get the attention of the reader.

2. Do you feel you have to stay on the good side of anyone in your life? Why?
I feel that I have to stay on my daddy's good side, because I have seen him get mad and im pretty sure I dont want that side of him to be directed to me.

3. What would you do/how would you feel if you found out someone was keeping private information about you? ( like Obie's notebook)
If someone was keeping private information about me, I would be very mad. I would probably take it from them.

4. Why is the man at the bus stop contemptuous of Jerry? What does he mean when he tells him he's "missing a lot in the world"?
He feels that Jerry is wasting his time with school and he is just conforming to the norm by going to school and doing good. He could possibly even be jealous that he didnt stay in school himself and he is trying to pick on Jerry to make himself feel better.


5.Who is Brother Leon?
Brother Leon is the assistant headmaster of Trinity. He is becoming the head of the school though because of the headmaster becoming ill. He is also a teacher.

6.Why does everyone in the school ignore the Vigils?
Everyone is afraid of the Vigils so they all ignore them.

7. Why does Goober have to comply with the assignment? What would you do?
He has to comply because if he doesnt he could get beat up. I would do it because it would be funny.

8. What kind of a teacher is Brother Leon? Have you ever seen a teacher pick on a student? Have you ever been picked on by a teacher? What did the rest of the class do?
Brother Leon is a teacher that likes to let the students know he controls them. I have seen a teacher pick on a student. A teacher has picked on me about my boyfriend before, and she said that all the girls would try to steal him from me. All the students told her she was wrong for saying that to me.

9. Do you know anyone with any of Emile's characteristics?
Yes, I do know someone with his characteristics, the boy is a complete jackass and hardly anyone likes him, because he can never be nice to anyone.

10. Why do they choose to pick on Brother Eugene?
Because he was an easy target, he's not strict at all. He's shy.

11. Jerry feels like he can't talk to his father. How could he remedy the situation? Do you ever feel that way? How could you remedy the situation?
He could tell his father he feels that he can't talk to him and that he doesnt like it or he could try planning something with his dad so they can spend more time together.

12. What have you had to sell for school fundraisers? Have you felt any pressure to sell?
I had to sell candy and candles before. I didnt really feel any pressure. I sold all of the product rather quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment